Sending Normal Messages

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
AENuemannSr

Sending Normal Messages

Post by AENuemannSr »

Is there any way to get the OBD-II Emulator to send Normal Messages (non-requested intermodule communications messages)?

If not, might be something to consider for the next update. Every vehicle has Normal Messages on the CAN bus. I need to be able to replicate some of those messages and the repetition rate can be controlled by my software.

So far the OBD-II Emulator works great.
stanley
Site Admin

Re: Sending Normal Messages

Post by stanley »

This needs some time and efforts. I don't know if this is a feature needed by many people.
AENuemannSr

Re: Sending Normal Messages

Post by AENuemannSr »

One 2014 car that I looked at, had almost 100 Normal Mode messages repeating at various intervals just with the key on (engine not even running). Most if not all are module to module communications. Example; if your car has Memory, then that module will send commands to seat, radio, steering column, heating/cooling system, mirrors, etc. It may only send the messages until it gets reply back or until a timeout. Other messages may be door locks, power windows, vehicle speed, brakes on/off, etc.

It would be useful to create these messages and have them sent out on the CAN bus to replicate those functions. I have been looking at developing a message analyzer and it would be useful to do the software development on the bench instead of in a vehicle. I have another CAN bus module that will do it but I need it for logging the messages when using the emulator and my OBD-II/CAN diagnostics module. Typically I have 3-4 CAN modules connected simultaneously for development.

Of course implementation depends on complexity and whether users would desire this function in the emulator.
Overall the emulator works very well.