Remote control of vehicle

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
wiseguy

Remote control of vehicle

Post by wiseguy »

Hello, guys,

Can you tell me, if it is possible to build some software on top of Freematics ONE to be able to control vehicle remotely - (i.e. Start/stop engine, open/close doors)?

Would appreciate, if someone can give me detailed explanation around this subject.
mikebolt

Re: Remote control of vehicle

Post by mikebolt »

In theory, yes. A quick Google search for "OBD-II vulnerabilities" should present you with several interesting articles.

However, if I understand correctly, the OBD-II interface is designed only for reading values, or doing something like clearing the diagnostic code. I suppose that could be a malicious thing to do without permission. There is also a "Mode 8", which you can research. This site claims that you can control an EVAP system via OBD using Mode 8. That could be done maliciously too.

Unfortunately, as most hackers are aware, design is not the same as implementation. You will need some kind of exploit to control a vehicle remotely via OBD-II.

I am more interested in how to prevent this. For example, you could manufacture a non-programmable hardware device that would sit between the OBD-II port and some device such as the Freematics ONE in order to sanitize and filter the OBD-II commands and protect the vehicle (and the driver and passengers). This could make a good Kickstarter project :)