Cellular Network (2G / 3G / ...)

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
dave

Cellular Network (2G / 3G / ...)

Post by dave »

I am having a tough time figuring out specifics regarding which cellular technologies and frequency bands are compatible with the SIM800 included in the Freematics ONE. Basically, I want to be sure that if I buy a few hundred of these devices (which I'm prepared to do after a successful POC), they will be compatible with US cellular services for 3+ years. See below.

1) I gather that only 2G is supported. Is this true?
2) Regarding 2G, I am interested in knowing which specific frequency bands are compatible with the SIM800... All US carriers are sunsetting 2G within the next 2 years, and certain frequencies will be supported longer than others, as the sunset will be somewhat gradual.
3) As 2G is being sunsetted, you can imagine that US companies interested in making a significant investment would be hesitant to invest much in 2G at this time. Can you offer any other cellular cards to be included in the Freematics ONE, which will support modern technologies such as 3G+? If you do not offer this service, any information on how I could do this myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time!!!
-Dave
knagpal89

Re: Cellular Network (2G / 3G / ...)

Post by knagpal89 »

Hello,

I am a customer in the US and I have the same concern. ATT is shutting down its 2G network on Jan 1, 2017. T-mobile is the only provider that will still support 2G but unfortunately they do not make 2G only SIM cards anymore so I'm having issues connecting to the T-mobile network as well.

For other customers in the US, which carrier and SIM card did you use for seamless connection to the network?

-Shin
stanley
Site Admin

Re: Cellular Network (2G / 3G / ...)

Post by stanley »

We will release 3G xBee module soon. Currently for a while you can still use T-mobile micro sim card with SIM800L module.