Arduino Due

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
squirmish

Arduino Due

Post by squirmish »

I noticed that there is mention of a 3.3V version of the UART adapter. I have the UART adapter, and I've gotten it working on an Arduino MEGA, but I cannot get it to work on the Arduino Due. I see nowhere in the store to buy the 3.3V version....is there a way I can modify the standard one easily? It's odd, I cannot get the Due to read data from the UART even when the Due is powered by an external source.

That leads me to the second question, do you have to power the Arduino with the UART adapter for it to work properly? I'd like to power the arduino with a switched 12V source but leave the OBD port live at all times.
stanley
Site Admin

Re: Arduino Due

Post by stanley »

That shouldn't happen. Are you able to get your DUE to work with other serial UART device?
squirmish

Post by squirmish »

Yes I am able to the get Due to work with other serial devices through the Rx and Tx as long as they are 3.3V. For example, I can get it to communicate with a raspberry pi through the Rx and Tx. The Due will run a 7" LCD screen just fine using the UTFT library, so I do not think that the Due is working improperly.

I believe that the Rx and Tx signal from the OBD-II UART adapter needs to be stepped down from 5V to 3.3V to work. I was just wondering if you sell a version that is already 3.3V? I can easily adjust the voltage to power the arduino properly, but I'd have to get some sort of level adjuster to make the serial signal 3.3V from the OBD-II adapter. I would prefer to have all of this self contained and not have to solder MOSFETS to adjust the signal.
squirmish

Post by squirmish »

Is there actually a 3.3V version of the OBD-II adapter? Before I buy another one of these things I'd like to know, the problem is that the serial and I2C connections on the Arduino Due can only handle 3.3V. I'd prefer not to have to run a logic converter.
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

There is no problem to use the adapter with Arduino DUE. The Rx Tx working voltage is 3.3V. The VCC is 5V.