BLE connection

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
thePie

BLE connection

Post by thePie »

I'm completely new to everything so please bear with me. I've posted this couple days ago and the post didn't appear on the forum so here it is again:

I've just bought a Freematics ODB2 adapter with BLE, the first thing I was trying to do is to see if I could establish a link between Samsung Android (4.4/Bluetooth 4.0) and the ODB adapter, I did see a new device called HMSoft emerged into Android's bluetooth device list and asked for a paring code when I selected it. the problem is, I don't know this code, 0000 and 1234 etc don't work. Could someone enlighten me?

is this adapter a ready-to-go version working with Androids/iphone or it has to be in such way, like someone posted, get an arduino board and a BLE shield and download the datalogger sample code to read things out of the adapter?

again I'm completely new to this. please help.

Thanks
stanley
Site Admin

Re: BLE connection

Post by stanley »

If you want the adapter work out of box without any programming, you can only use iPhone as we have only developed App on iOS at the moment.

BTW: BLE device does not need pairing or any pass code.
whiteast

Post by whiteast »

thePie wrote:I'm completely new to everything so please bear with me. I've posted this couple days ago and the post didn't appear on the forum so here it is again:

I've just bought a Freematics ODB2 adapter with BLE, the first thing I was trying to do is to see if I could establish a link between Samsung Android (4.4/Bluetooth 4.0) and the ODB adapter, I did see a new device called HMSoft emerged into Android's bluetooth device list and asked for a paring code when I selected it. the problem is, I don't know this code, 0000 and 1234 etc don't work. Could someone enlighten me?

is this adapter a ready-to-go version working with Androids/iphone or it has to be in such way, like someone posted, get an arduino board and a BLE shield and download the datalogger sample code to read things out of the adapter?

again I'm completely new to this. please help.

Thanks

I have the similar problem:
I've just got a Arduino OBD-II Logger Kit #3 with BLE, and also try to establish a link between Samsung Android (4.4/Bluetooth 4.0) and the onboard BLE.

I first installed BlueTerm from Googl Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.pymasde.blueterm&hl=en) on my Android phone (Note 3), and then run the following code on the Arduino based on the page http://arduinodev.com/arduino-ble-data-logger-shield/

Code: Select all

SoftwareSerial mySerial(A8, A9); /* for use with Compact MEGA 2560 */
mySerial.begin(9600);
mySerial.print("Hello BLE device!");

However, the BlueTerm app can scan and find the HMSoft device but always failed to connect with it.
Anyone has experience on this or not? Thanks in advance.
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

A very good App for testing BLE connectivity is LightBlue but it's only available on iOS.
bopinto

Post by bopinto »

I'm having a little trouble getting values from the device.
I have a MK1 emulator and I want to read the values from it using the OBD-II Adapter with a BLE connection.
So far I've successfully connected to the BLE device, but I don't know how to go from here.

Btw, I'm trying to develop an app using PhoneGap and the BluetoothLE plugin.
I tried to read/write values (specifically the ones in the init method, in the OBD library), to the device using the Phonegap plugin but also using the LightBlue iPhone app, but nothing seems to work.

Can I have a hand here?
kyr

Post by kyr »

what firmware version does BLE have? is it 1.6 or the latest 1.8? is it possible to update it?
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

The firmware depends on when did you order. It should always be the latest. Technically you can update it.
kyr

Post by kyr »

we ordered early August. Can you please provide some input on how to do this? are BLE serial data copied to any output pins?

thanx in advance
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

BLE output are also available on Rx and Tx pins.
linigers

Post by linigers »

I have the same problem. I also got a link between a samsung galaxy note 3 (android 4.4.2) that is BLE capable. I also can scan and find the HMSoft device, but cannot connect to it. With the iPhone App of Freematics it works fine.

I read from other users, that they were able to read data with the bluetooth 2.1 version. However, is there any chance to see debugging text on my android device with the BLE version?
My idea is to create an own application where I read out OBD-2 parameters. With other bluetooth 2.1 capable devices I am able to get such parameters over bluetooth 2.1.

Any help to get data out of the Freematics Vehicle Data logger over BLE is much appreciated!