Works [PARTIALLY] with my motorbike...

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
gambatte

Works [PARTIALLY] with my motorbike...

Post by gambatte »

I'm very pleased that my Kit #3 worked first shot with my motorbike (2007 Triumph Tiger) :D

I'm not sure exactly what OBD-II engine parameters were being logged - there was a brief screen showing a bunch of ticked and crossed parameters but it didn't stay long enough for me to snapshot. I guess it might be obvious from the data log csv file... but the freematics charting service seems to be down. I'm getting a 504/gateway time-out error. Is this service likely to be back up soon?

Also one other thing: I only did a few minutes of testing while idling in the garage, but it seemed that every so often (maybe every couple of minutes) the ODB-II connector lights would shut off and the engine speed would not update, after a 2-10 seconds or so it would come back to life. Is this usual?
Last edited by gambatte on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stanley
Site Admin

Re: Works with my motorbike...

Post by stanley »

This is the first time I know the kit works on motorbike, as I know nothing about motorbike. But this is definitely amazing to me.
BTW: By using the latest MegaLogger sketch you will have colored data display. ;-)
gambatte

Post by gambatte »

Yes, it's pretty cool. I'm looking at how I might customize the display to show things a little differently. E.g. I'd like coolant temp, system voltage instead of fuel consumption metrics. Loons like the code is easy enough to hack... :)

Also I'm going to try a gear position indication (based on engine speed/road speed). This should be pretty easy, though I'm not sure what it will do when the clutch is being slipped. hmmm.
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

Looking forward to your mods. Do share with us here. :-D
gambatte

Post by gambatte »

I will... Already started prototyping the GUI of my version.

But before that I have few questions/issues that I need help on:

1. Please see movie link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLSLSBEDYY

You can see it seems to be running ok for a few seconds, but then suddenly the OBD connector stops flashing it's blue leds and the rpm (and other OBD data freezes on the screen at 6 second mark) At 14 seconds it comes back to life... This keeps happening with random intervals. I adjusted the wires looking for bad connections but it does not seem to be related to that. Any ideas?

1b. If you look closely (view the youtube in HD!) you'll see the ODB Time is not running sequentially... it jumps around note this especially when it comes back to life at the 14 second mark.

2. The data that is logged to the SD seems unreadable by the online tool (says that no data is in the file) and can not be converted by the windows dataToKML (hangs the script). Attached is a link to a short example file. Any ideas? Config etc are all as per latest bundle downloaded yesterday.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11683952/DAT00002.CSV

3. Updating firmware in OBD-2 adapter? Can this be done? Maybe it is needed to solve my above issue... ;) I saw on the programming guide page that it can be done, but the unit I have does not expose the programming pins. It seems there are a few versions out there? Is there a comprehensive step by step to updating the firmware? I have another Arduino unit I could use as a programmer, or is there already some process using the Kit #3 as-is?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help on this. I'm excited to get this going for my bikes (and have a few other people here in Tokyo interested if I can!)
gambatte

Post by gambatte »

Just wondering if anyone has managed to check out my previous post? - the linked youtube showing strange OBDII connector dropouts and the weird log file might give some clues? I'm trying to follow the code and make my own tests. So far no joy, but I'm suspecting a faulty OBD-II adapter or firmware. Any advice would be most welcome!
gambatte

Post by gambatte »

Bumping this again as still no joy (or responses, anyone?)

I tried the new megalogger sketch and it certainly has some nice visual improvements. The system voltage is a nice touch!
I tried forcing the protocol to be ISO-9141-2 which is the correct one for my Triumph motorcycle...

However, I'm still suffering the same issues as previously described.
1.The connection to the OBD2 interface seems to stutter/halt/freeze then recover constantly. All the readings like RPM are frozen for a number of seconds before recovering (until it happens again)
2.The "OBD time" jumps around in a random fashion
3.The data collected from a ride is not readable by the online tool (here's a new file)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11683952/DAT00010.CSV

It's quite frustrating as you can imagine... Please any hints?
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

What's the OBD time (polling interval) you got?
gambatte

Post by gambatte »

stanley wrote:What's the OBD time (polling interval) you got?

Seems to start out around 100ms but jumps around a bit and ends up a bit more than 1000ms.
gambatte

Post by gambatte »

Here's a quick video - look at 0:23s where the rpm freezes, and the OBD time comes back at a very high number.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3E9E5T283w