Arduino OBD-2 Logger Kit 3 Pre-Buy question

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
nealbert

Arduino OBD-2 Logger Kit 3 Pre-Buy question

Post by nealbert »

1. Is the Arduino Mega ADK provided in Kit 3 Revision 1, 2 or 3?
2. When installed in a car, is the Arduino Mega powered via the OBD-2 cable?
stanley
Site Admin

Re: Arduino OBD-2 Logger Kit 3 Pre-Buy question

Post by stanley »

nealbert wrote:1. Is the Arduino Mega ADK provided in Kit 3 Revision 1, 2 or 3?

Only Kit #3 has the option for Arduino MEGA ADK as the main controller board.

Yes, the OBD-II adapter is powered by the OBD-II port and it will convert and regulated the 12-14V supply to stable 5V for powering Arduino board.
nealbert

Post by nealbert »

stanley wrote:

Only Kit #3 has the option for Arduino MEGA ADK as the main controller board.

Yes, the OBD-II adapter is powered by the OBD-II port and it will convert and regulated the 12-14V supply to stable 5V for powering Arduino board.

Yes, I'm aware that the Mega ADK is only included in Kit 3. Thank you. What I would like to know is whether the Mega ADK is Revision 1, 2 or 3 of the Mega ADK as defined at http://www.arduino.cc ....

The Arduino MEGA ADK is a microcontroller board based on the ATmega2560. It has a USB host interface to connect with Android based phones, based on the MAX3421e IC. It has 54 digital input/output pins (of which 15 can be used as PWM outputs), 16 analog inputs, 4 UARTs (hardware serial ports), a 16 MHz crystal oscillator, a USB connection, a power jack, an ICSP header, and a reset button. The MEGA ADK is based on the Mega 2560.
Similar to the Mega 2560 and Uno, it features an ATmega8U2 programmed as a USB-to-serial converter.
(I assume this is Revision 1 - nealbert)
Revision 2 of the Mega ADK board has a resistor pulling the 8U2 HWB line to ground, making it easier to put into DFU mode.
Revision 3 of the board has the following new features:
1.0 pinout: added SDA and SCL pins that are near to the AREF pin and two other new pins placed near to the RESET pin, the IOREF that allow the shields to adapt to the voltage provided from the board. In future, shields will be compatible both with the board that use the AVR, which operate with 5V and with the Arduino Due that operate with 3.3V. The second one is a not connected pin, that is reserved for future purposes.
Stronger RESET circuit.

Also, a new question:
I was a participant in your Kickstarter campaign at the $180 level. At that level of participation, the recipient would have received an OBD-2 logger kit with a 10 hz GPS module. Can the Auduino Mega ADK take advantage of the increased data rate of a 10 hz GPS feed over the 5hz you currently offer? If it can, how much $$$ to upgrade to a 10 hz module?
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

It's ADK R3.
Arduino MEGA has enough power for processing 10Hz GPS input. However, if there are other time consuming tasks, it may depend.
nealbert

Post by nealbert »

Thank you, Stanley. I just placed an order for Kit 3 with all the bells and whistles.
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

Thank you for your order.