ODB-II Adapter is only for cars?

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
giulio

ODB-II Adapter is only for cars?

Post by giulio »

Hello,
as I see OBD-II adapter is used primarily on cars, but... it can be used to read values on a motorbike too? In theory there is no technical limitation to do that, I'm right? :oops:

Thanks in advance for your answer.
stanley
Site Admin

Re: ODB-II Adapter is only for cars?

Post by stanley »

The OBD-II port is only available in cars and trucks as far as I know. If you provide the OBD-II adapter with DC 12V, it does work only without OBD-II data. MEMS sensors and other stuff will still work.
giulio

Post by giulio »

Hello Stanley,

really thanks for your fast answer.
So, seems that I cannot use the Adapter to read rpm, speed and clutch toggle to detect the gear used by the motorbike... :(
My project was to drive a (waterproof) gear indicator by using Arduino. A lot of biker consider this accessory really useful but the manufactures rarely provide it.

Anyway sounds quite strange that OBD data cannot be read with the adapter. At the moment a lot of "modern" motorcycles provide an OBD connector for diagnostic use.
For example I have a Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 cc and a there are many persons using a free software to read many data (rpm and speed included) by using the serial port of a laptop. So I thought that I could do the same by using an Arduino device.

In my case (Moto Guzzi Stelvio), people are using the following combination with satisfaction:

1) the standard 3-pin connector provided by the manufacturer and located under the driver seat (a photo is available here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113158&page=420)
2) a Fiat 16 pin OBD-II cable adapter (see http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=FIAT+OBD+Adapter&_sop=15)
3) an OBD to USB serial Adapter (something like that http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WIN8VQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
4) a laptop PC
5) the simple GuzziDiag software (developed by a person living in Netherland: http://www.mgcn.nl/index.php/diagnose-software/guzzi-diag)

So maybe the ECU of my motorcycle provide OBD data through the dedicated connector... or I'm wrong? What's your opinion?
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

Maybe it's my ignorance of motorbike. You mean modern ones have OBD-II port? If this is the case, I think it worth trying. Or if you can find out what protocol does the ECU uses, if it is ISO14230 (CAN BUS), the chance is big that the adapter will work with a conversion cable (maybe the 3-pin to 16-pin fiat one).
giulio

Post by giulio »

Hello,

I agree with you, I will make an attempt.
The ECU is a Magneti Marelli IAW 5AM, mounted on many different motorcycle models of different manufacturers. I will try to find out what protocol it uses (until now I cannot find detailed info about that).

Thanks again!
gambatte

Post by gambatte »

Indeed - I've actually just been playing with my new kit #3 on my motorbike (Triumph Tiger 1050). It works just fine by the way! They use OBD-II, CAN-bus etc just like other vehicles...
Attachments
itworks.jpg
itworks.jpg (116.19 KiB) Viewed 21489 times
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

That's just so awesome!!!
Spykey

Post by Spykey »

Hi gambatte,
did you manage to waterproof it?

Thanks!
idaka

Post by idaka »

Hello,Stanley,
i have got your OBD II Adapter for Arduino,Type B.
I try to connect it to my Ducati.
The Ducati uses the same MagnetiMarelli ECU, like giulio mentioned few posts above.
The protocol,that this ECU supports, is KWP2000.
The description of your OBDII Adapter states,that KWP2000 is supported.
Unfortunately,i can not connect to the ECU of the bike,and i am looking for this issue.
Question: Where can i set the protocol to KWP2000 in your Logger-Sketch? I have seen "protocol=0" which means automatic.
Could you please take a look at the picture included in this post,if pin7 is supported (this is used fpr KWP2000 and CAN via K-Line),
or if only the pins 6/14 are working.
Thank you very much.
Best Regards
Attachments
PINOUT.JPG
PINOUT.JPG (43.28 KiB) Viewed 21335 times
gambatte

Post by gambatte »

Spykey wrote:Hi gambatte,
did you manage to waterproof it?

Thanks!

Not yet... still having issues with it not working properly (see some of my other threads) so it's not ready to lock down just yet.