Brownout detector and powering via USB?

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
sunekaae

Brownout detector and powering via USB?

Post by sunekaae »

I just received Freematics One+ and I'm doing my first hello world test. I connect via USB to Macbook pro (the type which has only USB3 and have an adapter to get regular USB). I am using the telelogger sketch (via VSCode and PlatformIO). I am able to compile and upload and see serial debug information. However all I get is this every second:
---
Brownout detector was triggered
Freematics ONE+ (ESP32)
---
I have disabled the GPS and the OBD in the config settings, I thought perhaps that would reduce power use and make things work. But no.

Should this work, or does the device have to be connected/powered via OBD plug (not via USB).

/Sune
stanley
Site Admin

Re: Brownout detector and powering via USB?

Post by stanley »

Your USB adapter may not supply enough current.
vk5bd

Post by vk5bd »

Hello Sune

Did you end up solving this issue?

I have been playing with these dataloggers for about a month, I have had nothing but troubles getting them to work, however the same logger, connected to the same USB will run with out the Brownout Error with the Datalogger project, but immediately errors when trying the telelogger code.

Regards,
Bevan
daniel3514

Post by daniel3514 »

Greetings, I have a Freematics + with the original cable that came in the package and I have exactly the same problem, and probe with a PC and a Mac, with different USB cables, even with a Thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter, and I can not do it function :x :roll: :shock: :|
stanley
Site Admin

Post by stanley »

Two solutions:

1. Connecting the device to OBD port (powered from OBD port's 12V)
2. Using a USB hub with external power supply