Extension cord for Freematics ONE+ B

Inquiry and support for Freematics products
froghorn

Extension cord for Freematics ONE+ B

Post by froghorn »

I recently purchased the ONE+ B and am planning to start developing an Arduino application. I imagine I'll have to flash my board many times while debugging and it's quite cold outside. I figured I would stay in the warmth of my own house by using an extension cord to connect to the device. I know the ESP32 can be programmed over WiFi but I also want the serial monitor.

I looked into a J1962M to J1962F extension but its too expensive. I can find an active USB extension in the length I need, would USB 3 make a difference compared to 2? The former is significantly more expensive.
cmendes0101

Re: Extension cord for Freematics ONE+ B

Post by cmendes0101 »

What length are you looking at for this?
Are you hooking it up to an emulator or having it go out to a running vehicle?

Any USB will start to be faulty due to power around 5 meters. They sell power boosted USB's that you plug into your PC and on the other end has a split for a second USB for just power, this helps it go the further distance. I have one of these going 12 meters for VR.
RE: 2 vs 3, it probably won't matter since it's slower serial. Going with USB 3 won't hurt and you can use it for other stuff later if the cost is ok.

You'll still need to extend the ODBII cable so that might be the limiter to your length. I just picked up an OBDII emulator on eBay for basic data and that has been working out with custom PIDS available through USB.
froghorn

Post by froghorn »

I'm looking at about 15m from the warmth of my house to my vehicle outside. I was looking at the actively powered extensions, and USB 2 is about $20 while USB 3 is $70. So, I'll probably go with 2 since I have no other uses for such a long cable. If I can get a USB cable that's the length I need, why would I also need to extend the CAN bus as you say? I can't use an emulator because I'm trying to sniff.
cmendes0101

Post by cmendes0101 »

yah your right you don't need the extension for CAN for that. I was thinking you might have the device outside of the car or something. Hope the USB works out!