What board to select in Arduino tool for One+ model B?

Discussion about software developed by Freematics, including Freematics Builder and Freematics Emulator GUI
robotworkshop

What board to select in Arduino tool for One+ model B?

Post by robotworkshop »

I'd like to use the regular Arduino tools to build the firmware and download to a One + model B. I've used the library manager to add the URL for and expessif esp which lets me compile the data logging version. I'd like to confirm what style Arduino board should be selected in order to properly build and download the code to the device.

Should I be able to just plug in the USB cable from the laptop to program it or does it need to be plugged into an odbII port to power the module for programming?
robotworkshop

Re: What board to select in Arduino tool for One+ model B?

Post by robotworkshop »

I'm still not having any luck downloading the sample datalogger code to the one+ model B. The code compiles with the Arduino tool 1.8.8 but once done it throws this error trying to upload:

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Invalid head of packet (0x24)

I've tried to upload it while directly connected via USB on my desk and also tried plugging the module into an ODBII port so it would be powered from that. Still the same error both times. When I plug in the device I get a flashing blue light then it stays on solid blue. After a while it just goes out. Has anyone successfully used the regular Arduino tools to download examples? If so what tricks did you use?

I really want to get past this soon so I can actually use the device.

If this should be working did I just get a defective unit?
rosch

Post by rosch »

Hi,

i am also using Arduino IDE 1.8.8 to flash the device.
I am using board "esp32dev" with 16MB and in my case it is not necessary to plug in the OBD port,
although i had problems flashing when using an USB3 (blue) port. No problems with USB2 (black) on the same PC.
Maybe you should try a short USB cable and lower the baudrate, and of course check if you are using the correct COM? port

rosch
robotworkshop

Post by robotworkshop »

Thank you for the response. I was using a regular USB2 port but will try a different USB cable. It's good to know that it should work with the current 1.8.8 Arduino tool.

Have you tried using the get board info and if so did it return a board type? Just wondering if maybe I have to send the boot loader code to it or if I should be on there already.
robotworkshop

Post by robotworkshop »

Got it working. The Windows 10 laptop I was using had issues. It did work in the past for other projects but some recent windows patches seemed to break it. Went back to a Windows 8.1 machine and it worked ok. Will trouble shoot the original laptop later.

Have the datalogger running to an SD card and getting good data. Just need to get the cell connection going next. Happy with the progress so far.